Ecas4-Anolyte - Frequently Asked Questions

Why does Ecas4-Anolyte smell like chlorine?
As a matter of fact, Ecas4-Anolyte is a kind of chlorine.

The chlorine-water system is quite complex: when chlorine gas is added (bubbled) to water, it dissolves by reacting and the first products are hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and hydrochloric acid (HCl). Hence, both acids can undergo dissociation, depending on the pH of the solution; at alkaline pH, hypochlorous acid is almost completely present as hypochlorite anion, while at acidic pH (pH < 3), dissolved chlorine is present in its original (dangerous and toxic) molecular form. At pH values between 4.5 and 7.5, hypochlorous acid is the most abundant species, and represents the active biocide in any disinfection application.

Why shouldn’t I just use Chlorine?
Chlorine gas (commercially available in pressurised cylinders) is very dangerous and toxic.

Most often, chlorine is used in liquid form, that is as a sodium hypochlorite solution (calcium hypochlorite is an alternative, but it is a solid).

To stabilise the system, the solution is added with sodium hydroxide, responsible for the high alkalinity (usually the pH is >12). Under these conditions, the hypochlorite solution is relatively stable, but also not very effective as a disinfectant. To achieve any effect, liquid chlorine must be dosed in relatively large doses, resulting in corrosion problems for the water supply. Since Ecas4-Anolyte is approximately 80 times more effective than liquid chlorine, its dosage can be kept at safe levels, without compromising its effectiveness.

If the concentration of the active component of Ecas4-Anolyte (≤ 0.05%) is lower than that of Chlorine (12.5%), can’t I simply buy Chlorine and dilute it with water?
Ecas4-Anolyte is a genuinely neutral solution containing 75% hypochlorous acid (the remaining 25% is sodium hypochlorite).

Since commercial hypochlorite solutions are very alkaline, the assumed dilution is not able to bring the pH back to 7 (unless the dilution is made to a “homeopathic” concentration!), and the result is that the biocide will always be present in its poorly effective ionic form (hypochlorite anion) rather than the neutral active form (HOCl).

How does Ecas4-Anolyte differ from Chlorine, and what are the advantages?
Ecas4-Anolyte is the result of research aimed at obtaining the best compromise between maximum activity and minimum risks for the operator and the environment.

Additionally, Ecas4-Anolyte is commonly synthesized at the point of use, with no need for transportation, storage, and handling of hazardous chemicals; this also allows to always have a fresh solution, in which the risk due to the presence of by-products (due to the spontaneous and practically inevitable decomposition of the reactive species) is minimized.

What is the shelf life of the product once it is produced?
The shelf life depends on the storage conditions.

Ecas4-Anolyte, if correctly stored (in closed containers, protected from light and heat sources – preferably in a refrigerated environment), can retain its characteristics for relatively long periods (up to one year).

How is it produced?
Ecas4-Anolyte is obtained by electrochemical activation of a diluted saline solution (about 0.5% high purity sodium chloride in softened water).

The process is performed using the Ecas4® system, which is based on a four-chamber membrane electrolytic cell (patented) and special anodes. The latter are made of titanium coated with a mixture of stable and catalytic metal oxides similar to those used in pacemakers.